Rand McNally Foris 850 Now Available For $400
Rand McNally today began shipping its first handheld/bike mounted outdoor GPS device for hiking, biking, geocaching and more. Leveraging its experience and content in the outdoor marketplace, Rand McNally's Foris 850 comes loaded with millions of miles of high-quality street and trail maps, a sturdy bike mount, and an easy-to-use interface with on-device help.
Rand McNally Foris 850
Announced at the Outdoor Retailer show, Winter Market, the Foris 850 has been in beta testing and reviews by outdoor enthusiasts since January. Received favorably, the Foris 850 is the result of collaboration between Rand McNally and Falk Outdoor Navigation, a business unit of United Navigation Limited.
The Foris is designed to provide a 'trail ready' experience out of the box with everything included to get outside and go,” explained Dave Marsh, Vice President of Research and Development, Rand McNally. “
Consumers have come to expect turn-by-turn voice guidance on GPS and in-car units, and we've brought that feature uniquely to the outdoor market with guidance on trails as well as roads.”
Other industry firsts include Loop Me, a feature that creates a looped trail with the same starting and ending point, based on the user's preferred time or distance for the hike or ride, and TrackNav, which creates navigable routes from 'breadcrumb' trails,” Marsh explained.
Map databases on device, including Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, U.S National Park Service trails, National Forestry hiking trails and multi-purpose trails, U.S.
Other key features of the Foris device are:
- Multiple U.S. map databases on device, including Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, U.S National Park Service trails, National Forestry hiking trails and multi-purpose trails, U.S. National Wildlife Refuge trails, and the national hydrographic dataset, among others. The trail maps are pre-loaded as vector trails, rather than raster images, allowing for navigation and routing vs. just viewing
- Millions of points of interest relevant to the Outdoor market, such as trailheads, high points, bike shops, recreation areas, and campgrounds
- Spoken and visual turn-by-turn directions, even on trails
- Route Compare feature that compares three alternative routes, along with their elevation profiles
- Paperless geocaching through direct integration with geocaching.com; all descriptions, hints, logs, difficulty and terrain level on device
- Storage capacity for a category-leading 7,000 waypoints
- Barometric altimeter that shows accurate elevation levels on the map, or along current trail as well as how far to the top of a mountain or other location
- Trailhead companion software for desktop computers allows geocaches, hikes and rides to be stored, viewed, and transferred to and from the Foris
- Glove friendly 3" touch screen (240 x 400 pixels) is sensitive enough to be used with biking gloves on
- All you need in the box including bike mount, batteries, an anti-glare screen protector, 8 GB internal memory
The Foris 850 has a suggested retail price of $399.99* and is anticipated to be the first in a line of outdoor market products from Rand McNally.
The Foris 850 will be available exclusively at amazon.com beginning June 7 and at other retailers as of June 21, 2013.
*Price is U.S. dollars, applicable tax not included
- Jan 7, 2014
Alpine Debuts 9-Inch X009 AVN System For Trucks and SUVsAlpine has shattered all previous notions of what can be done in the dashboard with the debut of the largest Audio/Video/Navigation (AVN) system in the North American aftermarket. “Truck and SUV owners will find that the new 9-inch X009 AVN system takes the large screen concept to an entirely new level with brand new features and thoughtfully designed control keys that match their vehicle,” said Steve Crawford, vice president and general manager, aftermarket business unit, Alpine “The 8-inch AVN system continues to be a great success, as we have given thousands of consumers a large screen aftermarket experience not available from any other aftermarket brand, and we are re..
- Mar 21, 2013
Rand McNally Unveils IntelliRoute TND 520 GPS Device For TrucksToday at the 2013 Mid-America Trucking Show, Rand McNally unveiled its new IntelliRoute TND 520 connected GPS device for professional drivers. Products and services include: Road travel review site bestoftheroad.com; Interactive travel referral service, tripology.com; America's #1 Road Atlas; RVND GPS for RVers; IntelliRoute truck routing software and navigation devices; TPC 7600 and TND 760 mobile fleet management solutions for the transportation industry; and leading geography-based educational resources for the classroom...
- Jan 23, 2013
Rand McNally Unveils Foris 850 Handheld GPSExpanding its presence in GPS navigation with units designed specifically for the outdoor marketplace, Rand McNally today unveiled its new Foris handheld device at the Outdoor Retailer show. The Foris 850 device is unique in that it integrates routing and turn-by-turn voice guidance on trails as well as roads; it will even create navigable routes from "breadcrumb" trails that the user creates via the TrackNav feature...
- Oct 9, 2012
Rand McNally Announces Updated Hardware And Cost Drop On TND 760Rand McNally today announced a hardware revision and $100 price drop on its TND 760 mobile fleet management solution. "This price move accomplishes that goal for the TND 760, just like the recently announced HD 100 device will provide a cost-effective EOBR solution for those who already have a Rand McNally IntelliRoute TND 720 truck GPS unit or other mobile device in the cab."..
- Oct 2, 2012
Rand McNally Introduces RVND 7720 GPS For RVersRand McNally today introduced the RVND 7720, a new 7-inch RV GPS device with Wi-Fi connectivity allowing for real-time weather information and display, and new hardware with rugged casing, video input, and brighter screen. The new RVND 7720 has all of the features and functionality drivers have come to expect from Rand McNally, including: Virtual Dashboard; junction view with lane assist; free downloads of Rand McNally 's proprietary construction information and software updates; Exits Quick View which shows RV parking and amenities at exits; RV Tools, RV amenities and locations such as campgrounds, RV services, and dumps; Woodall's Campground information with searchable amenities; Rand McNally exclusive pr..